MEMBER COURSES AND DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Many members would like to improve their skills and confidence in some area of English, maths and ICT. We have developed a range of free courses to meet these needs.
Our courses include Dealing with Paperwork, Money Matters, Making the Most of the Internet, Your Skills, Your Future and more. We also promote functional maths and English which are short courses leading to qualifications at level 2 which is equivalent to GCSE A-C.
Our courses can help you:
- develop self-confidence;
- teach you about yourself;
- become more active and involved around issues that concern you;
- tackle change and uncertainty at work;
- progress your career;
- learn for fun and personal development.
Many courses are free and you may be entitled to time off work to attend them. They are designed to be friendly and informal, with practical exercises – and no long lectures or exams!
Our learning opportunities include the award-winning Return to Learn programme – aimed at members who want to get back into learning – and Skills for Life – aiming to get you up to speed with everyday English and practical maths, to Open University courses.
UNISON has a network of learning representatives across the union, they can offer guidance and signpost you to local courses UNISON may be running.
Return to Learn is a course designed for adults that may have been away from learning for some time. Members from all walks of life and work backgrounds have benefited from Return to Learn.
If you are someone who wants to get back into education but have been put off in the past because it all seemed too difficult then Women’s Lives is ideal.
UNISON can also offer advice and support on other training and development opportunities available for members. This includes key training in core english, maths and IT skills.
Coping with Change
This workshop will help you:
- understand change and how it affects you
- look positively and proactively at change
- develop and practise some skills for coping with change
- make a positive contribution to change at work
- set your own personal action plan for change
Making a Difference
Making a Difference is particularly relevant for people who have already done some learning with UNISON. This workshop will help you:
- identify the issues that affect you in your daily life
- recognise the contributions that you make within a team
- discuss the role of the ‘activist’
- identify you personal goals and become more involved in issues that you feel strongly about
- evaluate the guidance and support provided by UNISON
Your skills, your future
Are you feeling stuck in your current job? Explore what skills you have, how to make the most of them and how to develop new skills. Whether you want to learn for work or in your personal life, this workshop is for you.
Making the most of the Internet
Do you have some experience of using a computer but would like some tips to make the most of the internet? Session one covers searching the internet, favourites and email and attachments. Session two includes tips for staying safe online, computer spring cleaning and using the internet to save money.
Facing change together
Are things changing at work? This session will look at practical ways that we, as UNISON members, can help and support each other during times of change or uncertainty. You will find out about the relevance of working together and ways the union can help and advise.